As old superstitions fade and Emily Post-like etiquette evolves, you’re probably not counting the number of roses or orchids or hydrangeas you receive from your special someone. But the number of roses a love interest gave you once held hidden meanings, so check out what your significant other either intentionally or, more likely, unintentionally told you with the number of stems they chose.
The Meaning of Each Number of Roses
- One rose: Love at first sight, or years later “you are still the one.”
- Two roses: Mutual love and affection . . . so you may owe him two roses!
- Three roses: The traditional three-month anniversary gift also simply means “I love you.”
- Six roses: Infatuation, or “I want to be yours.”
- Nine roses: A big jump up from six, nine roses symbolizes eternal love or “I want to be with you forever.”
- 10 roses: A perfect 10 means “You are perfection.”
- 12 roses: A dozen is like picking the best heart from a Sweetheart candy box; it means “be mine.”
- 13 roses: Thirteen may be a baker’s dozen, but not so in love. Its meaning is actually disputed: Teleflora says it means you’ll be friends forever, but several other sources, like Love Letter Box, say it means you have a secret admirer.
- 15 roses: Does he have a reason to apologize? Because 15 roses means “I’m sorry.” If not, take it as credit for future remorse.
- 20 roses: The red starts to get excessive around 20, and supposedly that means “Believe me, I am sincere toward you.” Usually, sincerity does not need to be proved with quantity, but that’s just me!
- 21 roses: “I am dedicated to you” is the hidden meaning behind 21 roses. I am going to bet this was once popular among cheaters looking to be taken back.
- 24 roses: If one dozen says “be mine,” two dozen says “I’m yours.” Be careful; he could be yours whether you want it or not.
- 25 roses: Are you pregnant? Did you just get a promotion? Have you not killed the fish he gave you for Christmas? Because 25 roses simply means “congratulations.”
- 36 roses: Three dozen not only says “big spender,” but it also says “I’m head over heels in love” or “I will remember our romantic moments.”
- 40 roses: Forty roses says what 10, 20, or 30 can’t: “My love for you is genuine.”
- 50-plus roses: Fifty and beyond can mean a few things, and they’re all big and boisterous. Traditionally, they mean my love, like my wallet, knows no bounds.